How to Jump Start Your Car
There are certain things every driver should be able to do to stay safe on the road. Knowing how to change a tire and jump start your car are just a few of those things. While jump starting your car can sound complicated, it really isn’t. Take it from us here at Sierra Motors Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram, jump starting your car is a pretty easy task!
- Start by identifying the positive (red) and negative (black) terminals of both batteries and ends of the jumper cables.
- Attach the positive (red) end of your jumper cable to the dead battery’s positive terminal then connect the other end to the live battery’s positive terminal.
- Next, attach the negative (black) end of the cable to the live battery’s negative terminal.
- The other end of the negative cable needs to be attached to an unpainted piece of metal under the hood. Look for a jumping post. If you can’t find one, unpainted bolts on the engine will suffice.
- Once everything’s connected, start the car with the live battery. Rev the engine lightly and let it idle for a few minutes.
- Try turning on the car with the dead battery. If it starts, let both cars run for a few minutes. If it doesn’t, wait a few more minutes or call a professional.
- To disconnect, remove the cables in the opposite order you put them on (last first).
- Once both cars are running and disconnected, shut the hoods and hit the road.